Monday, October 14, 2013

It's been a long while since my last blog. After I presented my oral presentation at school today which is about Philippines..as I was about to delete the photos, I remember that maybe I should have to post this in my blog also. Who knows! Someday maybe some of you  could come with us in Philippines. And I hope you all are not tired yet reading my blog about Philippines. ( By the way, I got  perfect 20 points in my oral presentation today. Yehey!)

Here is my presentation with a little changes in the wordings though.

Philippines lies in SouthEast Asia. It is an archipelago of 7,107 islands.  It is divided into 3 groups of islands, namely: Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao. Manila is the capital city. There are 171 living languages, in which Tagalog is the national language. English and Tagalog are the official languages used in government, education, print, broadcast media and business.

There are many interesting places throughout the Philippines. Each place and island are simply unique in its own way. I have here photos of places that some I've never been to yet, hope someday we will go together to explore these wonderful places in Philippines.

This is the Mayon Volcano in Albay, which is known for its perfect cone though it erupted many times already.

This is the entrance of Underground River Cave in Puerto Princesa , Palawan.

                                     Palawan is located in the west side of Philippines.

The inside of the Underground River. This river is more than 15 miles long.
                  This Underground River is one of the 7 Wonders in Nature in the World today.

The Boracay Island. This island is regarded by many as the best beach in the world because of its powder fine white sand beach and crystal clear water.

The Chocolate Hills


Siargao Island. The surfing capital of  Philippines.





          The picture on the left is called SUMAN, and the picture on the right is called BODBOD.
These two are made of sticky glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk. The difference is, suman is a little salty and bodbod is sweet, and either is eaten as a snack or desert.

                                                               The "Hanging Rice"
For Filipinos, fish either fresh or dried is considered an ordinary food, while meat and poultry is a luxury. But when I got here in Utah I found out that to have fish is a luxury.






Don't be afraid of these fishes here. Cause when you go to Philippines there are lots of KFC's and McDonald's..hehehe I just read in the web that Burger King just opened recently there in Philippines.
            This is the popular BALUT. This boiled egg is sold according to number, the larger the number the more develop the chick inside the egg.

The Durian Fruit, which is known by its tag " It's Smell like Hell, but Taste like Heaven".



                                       
                           These are the different forms of public transportation in Philippines.


This is called jeepney, which can accomodate about 19 passengers including driver.



This is multicab which can accommodate about 16 passengers including driver.



This is called Tricycle, this type can accommodate about 6 people including driver.



This is called Trisikad. This is used in smaller communities. People will have to ride on trisikad to go to main road for them to catch the jeepneys or tricycles..

                                                                    The motorcycle.
By some Filipino ingenuity...motorcycle is modified to seat more than 2 passengers to the maximum of 13-15 persons. This modified motorcycle is called HABAL HABAL. This Habal Habal is widely used in provinces especially in mountain areas where jeepneys and tricycle can not stand the rough, steep terrain and narrow dirt roads. Here are the different styles of Habal Habal:

                             In country side it is common to see the following:
A loaded tricycle.

And an Overloaded Jeepney.
                            Look at those smiles!Filipinos are just happy people! hehehe

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Mona! That looks like quite an adventure. Thank goodness there are KFC's and McDonalds in the Philippeans if ever I get the chance to visit. It looks beautiful and I would love to go on that underground river ride. That looks so awesome! Thanks for updating your blog and congratulations on your perfect score in school! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out today that a 7.2 magnitude of earthquake hit Bohol and Cebu. I saw some photos of the damaged Chocolate Hills View Area and historical centuries old Catholic Churches in Bohol and Cebu. I really hope our house in Minglanilla did not collapse, likewise the family that lives there hope they are fine also.

      Delete
    2. Mona I hope your family is ok. That was a devastating earthquake and so sad that it ruined those beautiful historical sites that you just posted about.

      Delete
    3. Mona I hope your family is ok. That was a devastating earthquake and so sad that it ruined those beautiful historical sites that you just posted about.

      Delete
    4. I've chatted with my family the other night. Thanks God! They are all fine, and our house still standing strong.

      Delete